Edgbaston Park Hotel and Conference Centre has achieved a gold ECOsmart award for its commitment to the environment.
It’s the second successful milestone reached in the hotel’s quest to be one of Birmingham’s greenest, following a gold Green Tourism award in 2023.
The new ECOsmart award from Greengage is the leading accreditation used by organisations around the globe aiming to protect and save our planet from climate change.
Julie Crump, Director of Operations, was full of praise for the team: “I’m really proud! Not only is it a recognition of all the hard work by the team to drive forward sustainable initiatives, but it recognises the values of our business to be a positive influence on our people and community. There’s a lot more we want to achieve, and this gives us the boost to continue, with the recognition that we are moving the business in the right direction.”
ECOsmart award involves a comprehensive survey which covers six key areas – energy and waste conservation; building construction; waste management; recycling and plastic; sustainable food and beverage management; rooms; consumables and facilities management, and corporate and social responsibility. The hotel submitted evidence via the ECOsmart portal, which was then reviewed by a team of experts from Greenage.
- Removing sauce sachets to reduce single-use plastic and replacing with planet-friendly condiments by Tracklements, for use in the bar and restaurant.
- Removing single-serve jars from breakfast served in the restaurant to reduce glass waste.
- Seamless waste management system which includes regular reviewing of buffet wastage; adding a food waste bin in staff canteen; new bins across the hotel which allows guests to separate their food, general and mixed recycling.
- Stocking sustainable drinks, vegan wines, and alcohol-free beers.
- Improving energy efficiency across the building which includes LED lighting, BMS system, motion sensor lighting, and regular review of equipment.
- Use of eco-friendly chemicals and refillable toiletries in bedrooms.
- Paddy & Scott’s coffee stocked across the hotel and bedrooms. Every coffee bag sold provides one meal for a child in coffee growing regions. The hotel contributed to 544 lunch box meals.
- Raised £1,000 for Birmingham & Black Country Wildlife Trust as part of hotel’s Family Fun Day, annual event.
- All staff are given two days per year to volunteer in the community for a charity of their choice.
- No waste to landfill.
Director of Sales, Krishna Pastakia added: “Being part of the hotel’s sustainability journey has been truly rewarding. This achievement not only recognises our progress but also gives us motivation to continue leading the way in sustainable business practices.”